Monday, October 8, 2012

It's good to be Queen

Every now and again I find myself in a parenting/spouse situation where I stop and think. Instead of wondering how I should approach the world as a stay at home dad, I wonder how I would solve a problem if I were a stay at home mom instead. 
This morning my wife was all excited because Monday night football was actually going to be on network TV. She's quite a football fan, but we don't have cable, so she usually just spends monday nights sulking. It was good to see her excited about a Monday. As I was eating breakfast I was wondering how I could make the day even better. It occurred to me that although this was going to be a bit of a nutty week with two nights of soccer practice and one night where I have to give a school presentation, Monday night was free. Free to hang out, free to cook. If I was the best wife in the world (instead of the best husband) what would would I cook to make the evening even better? Steak. I'd cook steak. Then I'd sauté up some mushrooms and onions and pile them on top of the steak. 
At houses all over America tonight there are men with wonderful wives thinking about how it's great to be king. A solid day of work, a hearty meal, football. At my house, it's good to be queen. 

In case anyone is wondering, I side with Hemingway - "There are only three sports, bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."

No comments:

Post a Comment