Monday, October 1, 2012

Dart Board

My  wife sometimes accuses me of being cheap. The reason for this, I believe, is that at the very core of my being, I am cheap. Why pay $.94 for a jar of pizza sauce when the generic brand is $.88 and they hardly taste different? That's saving us $.06 every two weeks. These sorts of things add up. Really.
We were out buying soccer cleats this weekend for the impending soccer season and happened to walk down the aisle passed the dart boards. It just so happens that my wife has recently been invited out to play darts with the guys at work a few times and she sort of sucks at it (her words, not mine, I thinks she's fantastic). She hates being bad at things, and mentioned that if she had a dart board at home then she could practice and then not just be randomly hurling the darts at the board and hoping that the points work out. I love my wife and want to see her happy and here was my chance to brighten her day.
Proper dart boards use sharp pointy darts that stick into the board. And the wall if you miss the board. And the ceiling. And the cat. And siblings. Luckily there's an alternative for those of us that that wish our walls and ourselves to remain unperforated; plastic tipped darts and a dartboard with a ton of tiny holes in it. They sort of work pretty good some of the time. Kind of. Really though, the only good thing about them is that the object you're hurling less likely to result in a trip to the doctor. In our case, that's reason enough. Plastic tipped darts it is.
Dart boards aren't very expensive. You can get a pretty fancy one that holds your darts and automatically keeps score for several different games and lights up for not much money. However, for even less money, you can get a dart board that does none of those things. In fact, all it does it catch darts. How novel! This is where my razor sharp wit and my nose for saving a buck comes into play. You see, as nice as it is to have a dart board keep score for you, when you do that you're not doing math. No adding. Nothing. You're just pitching plastic at the bullseye. However, if you have a simple dart board, it also becomes an educational tool. Columns of numbers and adding and learning the rules of the game. Flawless logic if I do say so myself. And it's cheaper. Perfect.
So now we have a dart board which is also an educational tool and was fantastically cheap and I've managed to my wife just happy enough to not smother me in my sleep. Sometimes life really is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment