Thursday, February 7, 2013

Open Apology

Nurturing, caring, and up to code.
This is an open apology to my in-laws. When was writing yesterdays post about the saga with the refrigerators, I looked through old pictures to see if we had any of the really bad fridge. While I didn't find any, I did find pictures of our house immediately before, and right after we had our first baby. Holy cow I'm sorry. I'm not sure how you ever walked into, and then out of our house and didn't openly question whether we were out of our minds deciding to have kids. The place was, and still is to be honest, an active construction zone. Bare concrete floor. Plastic sheeting hanging from the ceiling to keep the dust out of the 'clean' part of the room while I worked on the other part. Tools and stuff piled everywhere.
You came and visited. You must have slept somewhere. You kicked the cement block in front of the fridge to keep the door closed. For several weeks we had to walk outside to go from the kitchen to the living room. Our bedroom was as orange as the setting sun. Somehow you just smiled and said good luck and hid what must have been rising panic at the thought of us raising your grandchildren. Maybe, somehow, you knew it would turn out ok. I don't know how you did it, but I'm truly sorry and forever grateful that you were nothing but positive as we bumbled our way through learning how to be parents and adults all in one go.

No comments:

Post a Comment