Friday, February 1, 2013

Forgettable

See, his brain never forgets.
Yesterday I did something that I've never done before. I forgot about an orthodontist appointment. It was on the calendar. I had talked to the receptionist at the orthodontist's office the day before to confirm it. I had even sent my son's teacher an email telling her that I'd be coming to get him. It still blew right by me. Of all the doctor, dentist, and orthodontist appointments we've had over the last 11 years, I never missed one until yesterday. I feel terrible.
In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal. I rescheduled the appointment and my son won't end up in braces any longer because of my lapse. Life will go on. I just don't want to become that guy. The guy who makes appointments and doesn't show up. The guy who shows up late. The guy you can't count on. I'm like your old spinster aunt who never had any fun because she thought close dancing was a slippery slope to drunkenness and debauchery.

1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed that this is the first appointment you've missed with all the running you do. I know you won't miss another one because you'll remember this lapse. I forgot that I had signed up to work at the preschool once. I too felt horrible, but I never forgot again.

    ReplyDelete