Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Bath Goggles

I had an interesting chat with my sister the other day. It seems that there's a bit of a lice issue rolling through my niece's preschool. Not a huge deal, humans have had lice since before we were humans. It's really probably a rare thing that we don't have lice. I've had lice, you've had lice, we've all had lice, not a problem. You just wash everything you own in water with a temperature as close to lava as you can get, and you wash yourself and your loved ones with anti-louse shampoo. Sounds easy, but here's where the story gets interesting.
You see, not everyone likes getting their hair washed. Some dislike it more than others. Some dislike it so much that they throw a huge fit and fall all over themselves as if washing hair is a violation of their rights as a human being. With normal kids shampoo it's not a huge problem, but with louse shampoo, it can be. It turns out that louse shampoo isn't tear free. It stings a little. Ok, it stings a lot. That stinging might actually turn out to be a chemical burn on your child's eye. She might freak out enough with all of the thrashing and wailing to make herself throw up. Now you've got lice, a head partly rinsed of shampoo, an eye that's literally burning, and vomit. These stories are better to hear than to live through.
After I stopped laughing and my sister told me that she had to do another round of shampoo in a week, I recommended that she run out and buy a pair of children's swim goggles. We've used them with a couple of our kids who hated getting their hair washed with normal shampoo. Works great. It would have been better advice before all of this happened, but, better late than never I always say.

No comments:

Post a Comment