Thursday, January 12, 2012

Smokey Maple Mustard Pizza Sauce

Usually I'm a lazy pizza maker. Sure, I make the crust from scratch, but I buy my cheese shredded and my sauce in a jar. If we have any other toppings it's because they're left over from something cooked earlier in the week. My pizza is awesome, but that has more to do with the fundamental nature of pizza than my cooking. I'm branching out though, stepping out of my comfort zone. My wife made a honey mustard dipping sauce for chicken nuggets a while back and it was fantastic. It wasn't right for a pizza, but the flavor stayed on my mind. What I needed was something closer to a mustard based barbecue sauce. I did some searching to find out the basic elements of such a sauce, and tweaked things a bit. I've finally got something nailed down.

Smokey Maple Mustard Pizza Sauce
1 tbs yellow mustard
1 tbs maple syrup
1 tsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 small shake liquid smoke

Mix it all together and spread it on your pizza. Easy peasy. You'll notice that this is a very small recipe, just enough for one 10-14" pizza. This works in your favor if you're just making one pizza for the evening or if you just want to make one pizza that is different without forcing something new on the whole family. If you want to make a bunch of pizzas with this sauce then you just need to apply some basic math. I had some leftover roast chicken and bacon and those two were the perfect toppings to go with this sauce. Quite frankly, the pizza was spectacular.
Give it a try, it's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment