Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Lunch #1

I love lunch as a stay at home dad. Sure, there's all of the work that goes into getting lunch ready for the 1-4 kids that are home at any given time, and having the dishes to wash, and the fact that I almost never eat my food until an hour after I start, but that's more than made up for by being in the kitchen. Unless you're a chef, you're generally not in a kitchen at lunch time. Your choices are then split between bringing or buying a lunch. If you buy it, you are at the mercy of whatever is cooked at the places around you for whatever prices they charge. If you bring it then you are stuck with cold food, or in the best case scenario, something that you can heat up in a microwave. That's no way to live.
When it's lunch time for me, I have a full kitchen and access to leftovers. It might be wrong to cook extra food just so I can have it for lunch, but I do. I do it all the time. Veggies are re-cooked in a pan with bacon grease and cheese and eggs. Meats are stir fried with veggies and rice or sliced thin and put on a fresh grilled cheese sandwich made with homemade sourdough. Cabbage is sauteed in sesame oil and added to everything. Sometimes I just look in the fridge and let my imagination go wild. When I cook dinner, I cook for the family, when I cook lunch, I cook for me.
Through time I'll post some of my lunches, just for fun. It's amazing what a wonderful feeling it is when my lunch gets done right when it's time to tuck the kids in for a nap. They go peacefully to sleep and I sit down to a wonderful quiet meal. Book in hand, warm food on my plate. A moment of bliss. I often imagine that this is what life will be like when they're all grown and gone. I'm sure I'll miss them, but eating a fine meal in silence will never get old.
Today's lunch is a pair of grilled cheese sandwiches on sourdough bread. The have muenster cheese and thin sliced roast pork on them. As a side I have green beans sauteed in bacon grease, topped with a bit of pepper and fresh grated muenster to top it off. It's fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment