Thursday, October 6, 2011

Double Beet Loaf

Why does meatloaf get such a bad rap? Is it because people make meatloaf that sucks? You don't have to. With one very very simple substitution meatloaf become delicious. So good in fact that this week when it was time for my 9 year old to make dinner, it's what she chose.

Meatloaf - Adapted from Betty Crockers New Cookbook

1 lb ground beef
1lb sausage
     This is where I deviate from the recipe, it calls for 1.5 lbs of beef. I find that if I use one pound of been and one of sausage then the world is a better place and the meatloaf is a bit bigger. I prefer to use a ground turkey breakfast sausage but the sky is the limit when it comes to sausage choices. Go with what you like. Explore the world of sausage.
1 cup milk
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove fresh chopped garlic
1 egg
Bunch of bread. The recipe calls for three slices torn up. I usually put in between 3-8 bread butts. When we're done with the loaf we throw the but in the freezer. When we have enough, we make meatloaf.
1small onion chopped or 1 tbs dried onion, I generally use dried.
Ketchup or BBQ sauce to cover the top if you like

Mix everything except the ketchup in a bowl and put it in a bread pan. Cover with ketchup or BBQ sauce if you want. I like to keep it plain, the 'crust' is the best part. Bake at 350 for 1 1/4 to 1 1/5 hours, until it reached 165 in the middle.

Yes, I do have a dishwasher.
My 9 year old made this last night. She also 'made' frozen peas and cleaned up after dinner. That work earned her $2. She and her brother are given the chance, every other week, to plan a meal, make the menu, and make a list for me to take to the store. Then they prepare the meal and clean up after it and in return they get the extra $2 in their allowance for the week. I can veto any meal idea if we've had it very recently or if I think it's horrible. They don't get to choose mac and cheese and hot dogs. It has to be real food, real cooking. I tell them this every time they cook, "by the time you leave home you have to know how to cook 10 dinners and be able to plan and shop for them." Learning how to bake breads and cakes and cookies is bonus material. No matter what else happens, at least they won't starve for lack of skills.
I've also done the math. If I can eventually get all four of them making dinner then daddy will have more time to chill. It's good to be king.

No comments:

Post a Comment