Saturday, October 29, 2011

Epiphanies in toilet cleaning.

Cleaning the toilet is a funny thing. Not actually funny of course, just funny to talk about.
I understand that a lot of people hate cleaning the toilet because they think it's yucky. I've had the luck (if you want to call it that) of rich and varied life experiences that have re-calibrated what is yucky to me. I won't go into detail but let's just say that cleaning the toilet doesn't even make my yucky list. Not close. I don't readily share this information though. As soon as you admit that toilets aren't that gross then everyone wants you to clean them. All the time. It's not that I don't want to clean the toilet, I just don't want to clean anything that I don't view as necessary. Which brings us to the question, what is necessary?
Daily is certainly overkill. At least I hope it's overkill for a residential toilet, if it's not then I don't envy your life. Monthly is probably not frequently enough. Probably. So how often? Once a week? Is it really dirty? Really dirty? Every two weeks? When are my inlaws coming? Maybe I'll just think about it. Ah, my wife got fed up and cleaned it herself. Looks great. Maybe it was dirty.
That has been the general mode of cleaning in the relationship. She has usually decided that the toilet needs to be cleaned before me, and rather than nagging (have I mentioned how awesome she is? I love her so much) she just does it herself and holds in the rage until is subsides. That is until recently when were having a conversation and I let it slip that I didn't understand why people were bothered by cleaning their own toilet. Nothing gross about it. I could tell instantly that I'd made a mistake. After 10 years of marriage she might have been less upset if I'd admitted that I had a secret second family. She can only hide so much rage, a little peeks out around the edges.
So I messed up. The toilet is now mine, forever. The question is not Do I clean it? but rather How do I make myself want to clean it? Depending on how old your toilet is, what your water is like, and how the toilet has been cleaned in the past, you might have a buildup of scale in the very bottom of the bowl. It' s not clear porcelain as far as the eye can see. I've seen this in quite nice clean homes so I don't feel bad about it, but when I got right down to it, it bothered me. I could clean the toilet, but I couldn't really get it clean. Time for research! All of the hippies online swear by vinegar as a toilet cleaner. They say that it disinfects, helps remove scale, and is kind to septic systems and the planet. Worth a try. I found a technique that is quite a lot like winterizing toilets in a summer house or RV. Here is.
You need to do this when you've got at least a few hours when nobody is going to need the toilet. Easier if you have more than one toilet. Otherwise I suggest right before bed when everyone is done for the night. 
1. Scrub the toilet with a brush. Try to do a good job if you can.
2. Turn the water off at the wall valve. 1/4 turn valves are awesome.
3. Flush. Hold down the handle and let all the water get out that can.
4. Plunge out excess water or just scoop it out. You want to do this because the more water you have, the more you dilute the vinegar you pour in. You want as concentrated a solution as you can reasonably get, so you want as little water as you can reasonably can get.
5. Pour in somewhere between a quart and a half gallon of vinegar. The more you're trying to fix, the more you use.
6. Dip your brush in the vinegar in the bowl and scrub more, up around the rim, get it all clean, you're disinfecting now.
7. Pour a bit of vinegar on a paper towel and clean the seat and everything else that needs to be cleaned.
8. Wait. Wait overnight if you can. The vinegar is breaking apart the scale.
9. Brush out any loosened scale, or if you're adventurous and want to be more effective, use a scouring pad to clean off as much as you can.
10. Turn the water back on and go about your life.
I've been doing this for a bit over a month now. My 25 year old toilet is almost spotless porcelain all the way down. I've taken a chore and turned it into a quest. I clean on Friday nights and I look forward to defeating a little more scale, revealing a little more porcelain, every week. When I finally get it clean I'll work at keeping the scale at bay, like a king who has repelled the barbarian hoards and now works to keep his kingdom safe.
Turning toilet cleaning from a task that I didn't really want to do into a task that I look forward to has been quite an epiphany in my own psychology of cleaning. Now if I can only find a way to discover the hidden joy of sweeping.

2 comments:

  1. Now, I find this very interesting and will try it at our house. Your toilet will be up for closer inspection when we visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear it works. The crazy hippies suggest using hot vinegar to clean tough scale. This makes sense from a chemistry stand point, but from a practical stand point it seems that the toilet has a lot of thermal mass and will cool it down pretty quickly so I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.
    The biggest upside to using vinegar is that your bathroom smells like pickles in the morning. That's surprisingly nice to wake up to.

    ReplyDelete