Friday, March 16, 2012

My Wife's Lawnmower

We have two lawnmowers. One is a beat up old push mower with a deck that is rusting through that is almost impossible to start. It's a very manly mower. The other mower is my wife's. Hers is self propelled and electric start and quite nice really. I bought it for her last year after I killed her old self propelled lawnmower, which was also quite nice. I hit a stump and bent the crank an it died. I felt bad, but not so bad that I ran out and got a new one. I still had my old one and it still mostly ran and I did 90% of the lawn mowing anyway. Even though I'm a stay at home dad and I cook dinner and do the laundry and have raised four babies, I still sort of feel that mowing the lawn is man stuff. It makes no sense, I know that, but knocking down a field of wild grass into a smooth sheet of green feels manly.
My wife likes to help though, and if I only have the one impossible old mower then she can't. So I went out and bought her the really nice mower. I set it up. I showed her how to use the new fangled electric start. She was really happy and mowed the lawn once. Then it stopped raining. For about 8 months. Only recently has it started again and the grass is finally starting to wake up. The other day I couldn't find the guineas because they were walking through the grass, which let me know that it was probably time to start mowing again. I got out my wife's mower just to make sure that it still worked, just in case she wanted to mow later. It's a nice mower. Don't tell her this, but I liked mowing with it, my old mower kind of sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment