Saturday, November 12, 2011

Throwing Toddlers

Every dad has a version of this game. It ranges from the quick pick up to literally, well, throwing. I'm the kind of guy who regularly drops things, so I never went for a full release myself. I've watched my brother pitch his kids frighteningly high into the air and catch them without a worry. Of course, whereas he played baseball in high school, when I played T-ball I played left field. Even then I had to wear a batting helmet as a fielder because twice, not once, but twice, I went to catch a fly ball only to miss it and have it hit me in the head. The coaches were quite worried about me and though the helmet would reduce the likelihood of a lawsuit. Anyway, I was smart enough to not actually throw my kids. Just a quick jump, a yank on the arms, and a flight onto the big puffy couch. They'd do it for hours until my arms were sore.
They finally got too big to throw around in the house and for a few years we were limited to spinning and airplanes and other versions of rotation based silliness. This summer though my older son finally learned to swim well enough that we could start all over again with pitching him in the water. I'm not throwing him off a dock or anything crazy like that. I have him stand in my cupped hands and I throw him like a Scotsman throwing a caber at the Highland Games. I'm less concerned about hurting them in the water than I ever was on the couch. I was always just a bit nervous about the possibility of having to explain why my two year old had hit the ceiling and needed medical attention. With water all I have to worry about is drowning, and that's....better?

1 comment:

  1. Drowning is not better (ever) but considering your skills for all sports involving balls, bats, nets, hoops etc, we all thank you for not thinking your kids are part of an all American past time. We used to beat the crap out of each other in the water as kids so it's far more forgiving... I think. Happy catapulting.

    ReplyDelete