Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Lunch #2

I'm pretty serious about feeding my kids. I don't focus on organic or local (although I do buy wild gulf shrimp) instead I focus on making real food from real ingredients. I try to be low on the white grains and sugars and high on the veggies, fruits and meats. I want my kids to grow up with a proper idea of what food is. You don't buy it in a box and heat it up. You buy ingredients and make it.
So when I go away for my 3 day solo vacation each year to decompress and theoretically hunt deer and get all lonely and want to come home again, I eat like crap. It's my way of rebelling against myself.  This year was mini powdered doughnuts, fritos and bean dip, a frozen pizza and a block of cheese. By the time I got home all I wanted was real meat and veggies. I craved them. Leftover lunch yesterday saved and restored me.
Looking in the fridge revealed a lone zucchini and two left over pork chops. I pulled out two carrots, a block of meunster cheese, a few cloves of garlic and some butter and olive oil. I heated up the oil and butter and put in the carrots I'd sliced. A few minutes later the sliced zucchini and the chopped garlic went in. When it was almost done, the cut up pork chops were added to warm them, and then off to a plate and topped with cheese. This one meal has transformed me. I went from feeling lethargic and terrible to feeling bouncy and full of energy and ready to accomplish something.
Good food is good.
In other food related news, I watched my three year old create instant rice crispy treats for breakfast. He started off with a bowl of rice crispies with honey and milk. After he finished that he decided he wanted a second bowl, but with no milk. Not what I'd call nutritionally perfect, but it was his second bowl so I thought I'd roll with it. The boy is brilliant. The rice crispies stuck together in little clumps around the honey and it was as if he'd made a bowl of fresh sticky rice crispie treats, just like that. I need to watch this one, he might be a little too clever.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that looks really good. I'm sitting here reading this and eating my cottage cheese. I wish you were in charge of my lunch.

    ReplyDelete