Thursday, September 13, 2012

Notes on Illness

So I'm a stay at home dad, and I'm sick. It's an interesting combination and it works to prove a few points. The first point is that my kids are awesome. Last night I made pizza, cut it up and told them to eat while I laid down. They did wonderfully. Then later they got their pj's on and brushed their own teeth. No, they didn't get flossed by me, but that's all they missed. They even tucked themselves in. So it appears that my kids are fully capable of raising themselves as long as they're provided with food. Interesting. That's not how I do things, but it provides interesting perspective.
The second point relates to the first. If indeed one can be an effective parent laying on the couch with a mild fever and a head that's in immanent danger of exploding, can one really justify having the working spouse take a sick day to take care of the family? I can imagine a case where intestinal issues would make it impossible to sit in the car rider line, so there's always that, and when you have little babies you do need to do more active parenting. I guess there are some situations when it would be necessary, but you need to be really really damn sick to pull in reinforcements when your kids are older and getting self sufficient. My wife feels bad and offers to stay at home when I'm like this, but I turn her down. If she stayed at home then I'd lay around and do nothing. As it is, I take the kids to school and then lay around and do nothing. The laundry basket is getting full and I'm only doing enough dishes to make it to the next meal, it's not like I'm working around here. Speaking of meals, those are much simpler than usual and are barely meeting nutritional guidelines. This is really some half assed parenting and I don't think that's a good reason to pull my wife out of work. If I couldn't parent at all, that would make sense, but it's just that I'm crushingly sick and am only doing the bare minimum to keep everyone alive and well for a few days. That's not so bad. Is it?
I need to take a nap now.

No comments:

Post a Comment