Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Set Sail

Everyone that has ever grown a garden has had to deal with monster zucchini. Early in the season you get these nice petite zucchini that you can slice and saute. You can put them on kabobs. Slice them on a mandolin and put them on pizza. Lots of great zucchini eating early in the year.
You can't keep up.
You turn you back on them for 3 days to take a break or visit friends and suddenly you have zucchini everywhere, and they get big. When we were kids we used to pick the big ones and use them like bats. Zucchini ball. Great fun. This is the stage when you start shredding and freezing with the idea that you'll be making zucchini bread every third day all winter. Still, there is more zucchini. You can try to give it away, but everyone you know already has more zucchini than they know what to do with. People start leaving it on doorsteps as 'gifts'. Thanks, it will go well with all of the zucchini that I have. If you try to slice and saute now, it's like trying to cook a pile of hockey pucks. Too big, too unevenly cooked, it's enough to make a strong man weep. Now is the time for zucchini boats.
Slice them in half lengthwise and scoop out the middle with a spoon. Fill them with chopped ham and put them in the oven for 40 minutes at 350. Pull them out, add a bit of cheese and throw them under the broiler for 3-5 minutes. Add a mast and a sail and you're done. Very easy to make, zucchini tastes like ham, and the kids love them. They're basically a whole meal by themselves.

This is the part where I shamefully admit that I bought the zucchini that I used for boats, I did not grow them. I don't garden, I just don't have it in me to battle the heat and the rabbits and the terrible soil in southeast Texas. Normally my neighbor would be throwing zucchini over the fence at me every time he caught me outside, but the worst drought in 100 years has the zucchini suffering.  I know that in the midwest right now there are 10 zucchini for every man woman and child. Many other places are doubtless awash in them as well. Have a go at it, zucchini boats are fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment