Friday, April 19, 2013

COTA

I'm not much for watching sports. When my wife turns on college football I usually remember that I have something to do in the garage or some pressing yard work. It's just not something that I usually enjoy. With one huge exception, I'd rather go do something than watch other people do something. That one exception is MotoGP.
For those of you who live under a rock, or in North America, MotoGP is the top level of motorcycle road racing. It's like Formula 1, but with 240 horse power motorcycles piloted by men with otherworldly abilities. It is, bar none, the best racing in the world. If it weren't for the fact that I really hate breaking bones I certainly would have followed these gentlemen onto a track at a much lower level. Maybe that's why I love it. Motorcycle racing is the one thing in my life that has eluded me, and it continues to hold my fascination. 
A decade ago the only way you could watch MotoGP live was to visit Europe or Malaysia. Then China built a track. In 2008 a deal was struck and the circus that is MotoGP came to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It took every bit of willpower and not a few dirty looks from my wife to not go watch the races up at Indy. Last year though something changed. A couple of rich guys who wanted to become richer convinced the state of Texas that we needed a new road course. Not just another track, this was to be a world class venue that would hold Formula 1 races. A little chatting back and forth and it was decided that the track should be built to accommodate MotoGP as well. Circuit Of The Americas, or COTA, was built.
On Sunday will be the first running of MotoGP at COTA. My wife bought me tickets. Two tickets. I would have loved to take her, but someone has to watch the kids. I decided to take my oldest daughter instead. Hanging out with her is pretty easy. She has quick humor, good taste in music, and isn't too flaky. It's a little like bringing along a small adult that can't drive and is easily confused reading maps. We're going to have a good time. Maybe next year I'll go again and bring another one of the kids. Maybe I'll bring the whole family, I don't know, I need to see what it's like. 
I'm glad my life still enables me to have adventures and that my wife supports them. I'm also glad that I get to share them with my kids. Anything fun is always more fun when you get to poke someone with your elbow and point and yell "did you see that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment