Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Lunch Tacos

It's possible that my three year old is a genius. I know lots of parents think that about their kids, and the mere act of declaring it to society virtually guarantees that your child is not, in fact, a genius. There's some sort of law of bragging going on. Even though I know that I'm probably dooming my son to a life of mediocrity, bear with me.

Make this, it's wonderful.
One of the staples of lunch at my house is tacos. They're not really tacos. Tacos have a lot of variety in their native lands, but not this much. We cheat the culture of tacos and declare that anything made on a tortilla is a taco. We do eat actual tacos with taco meat and cheese and lettuce and all things considered taco, but we also eat peanut butter and jelly tacos, nutella tacos, turkey and cheese tacos, and honey tacos. The kids are always trying different things to see how they taste and quite frankly, I suspect, to see if they can weird me out to the point where I refuse their request. The weirdest taco they consistently call for has to be peanut butter and Kraft American cheese. They claim they love it. It's weird.
So the other day when I had a request for nutella and blueberry jelly, it didn't even phase me. I didn't think much of it until my son was too full to finish his second one and left two bites on his plate. I don't like blueberries, not even a little, but I hate to throw food away so I popped it in. It was fantastic. Just an absolutely brilliant combination of flavors and textures. The boy had hit a jackpot. I doubt he meant to concoct something so incredible but he did.
He might have more in him, or he might have hit his culinary peak at the ripe old age of three, but he has left his mark on the world of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment