Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Guest Poet

Twas the Night Before My Birthday

Twas the night before my birthday, and all through the house
Only I was stirring, jumpier than a mouse.
Streamers were hung by my doorway with care,
In hopes that some presents soon would be there.

I jumped off the walls, and I'm happy to say
I'd be turning ten the upcoming day
I'd asked for some awfully big presents this year,
Certainly bigger than toys around here.

And in the kitchen, there arose such a clatter
I snuck down the stairs to see what was the matter.
I saw it was Mother making the din
Surrounded by pans, what a sight she was in!

She sat in a chair with an excited look,
Flipping madly through the recipe-book.
And what to my wondering nose should I smell
But batter in the hands of eight singing elves!

They held some batter so shiny and red,
I knew in a moment they were making shortbread!
The need for ingredients began to appear,
So she clapped, and shouted, as you will soon hear:

“Get sugar, get flour, get water too!
Get cocoa, get nuts, and frosting, only blue.
Grab sprinkles and milk, we're wasting daylight!
We must make a cake for my daughter tonight!”

As dry leaves before a hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky.
So up to the pantry her helpers they flew
With a mixing bowl, and ingredients too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard in the next room,
My dad's tired feet stomping-BOOM, BOOM!
As I covered my mouth and was turning around,
Into the kitchen my dad came with a bound.

He was dressed all in P.J.s from his toe to his head
And with an expression like he'd just come out of bed.
A cold cup of coffee he held in his hand,
And it looked like he'd fallen from a separate land

His eyes were so tired, his smile not there,
And it looked like a rat had crawled into his hair
His pajamas were wrinkled from a fitful sleep,
He'd stayed up too long just counting sheep.

He went straight to my mom, who'd finished my cake,
Her elves had set it in the oven to bake.
He called to her, “Hey, I've got Lela's present!”
(The mailman had winked and said it was pleasant!)

He went to quickly help my mom wrap the gift,
Then he went and told her it was the end of her shift.
He'd guard the cake while she was away,
She had to rest up for work the following day.

My dad gave her a good-night hug
Before putting hot coffee into his mug.
Taking a sip, he sat down to wait,
Knowing he'd prob'ly be staying up late.

I wanted to scream(I didn't), instead,
I crept up the stairs and snuck into bed,
Whispering to myself as I walked out of sight,
“Happy birthday to you, and to you a good night!”

Note: My daughter had an assignment for school that she wanted me to read. Quite frankly, it's better than the drivel I write on here and I thought it deserved wider recognition. I hope you enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment