Friday, August 24, 2012

Mix it up

I spent most of the summer away from my mixer and I really missed that little guy. I normally don't like to admit that I love the mixer because I think mixing by hand is more manly, which it is. Standing at the counter whisking as fast as you possibly can with a steady whack whack whack as cream turns to whipped cream is pretty much the height of manliness in the kitchen. You make delicious food by whipping it, how can that not be manly? Somehow hiring that job out to a machine takes a little bit of the edge off.
I expect that I might get a comment from my wife mentioning that the mixer is in fact hers, which it kind of it. Ok, not kind of, it's hers. I reluctantly bought it for her because I believed that 95% of those fancy mixers are nothing more than shiny counter decorations and it's quite big and heavy and expensive to decorate a counter. I'm pretty sure that if I got to pick out a big heavy expensive kitchen decoration it would be something like a Ducati v-twin with the exposed timing belts. I wouldn't mind looking at that every morning on the counter. As it turns out, she uses the dickens out of that mixer, and I've eaten thousands of cookies and gallons of ice cream and at least dozens of cakes that have come out of it's bowl. Gradually I've come to embrace the mixer and it's place in our home. It's quite nice to have the cream be whipping while I cut the strawberries for dessert. Saves time, it really does.
I was quite happy to flip the switch and fire up my mixer tonight. It's almost like using a power tool in the kitchen. It's not quite as satisfying as firing up the drill or the table saw, but it'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment