Saturday, July 14, 2012

Walking the Rocks

I can't even watch.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers love rocks. Big rocks. They quarry them and move them about and put them all in a row. The ones we get to walk on are used for erosion control by lighthouses. It's not a new thing, I walked on the same kind of rocks used for the same reasons by different lighthouses when I was a kid, and they were fun. Running along, hopping from rock to rock, trying not to slip. It always freaked my parents out, my mom especially. You would have though we were playing catch with explosive porcupines from the look on her face. Come on mom, we're just hopping on rocks!
But now I'm a parent and it freaks me out. The rocks are slippery and my kids just don't seem coordinated enough to pull this off. They trip on legos. They fall when walking down the driveway. How can they hop from rock to rock and not end up in the hopital? I think it really would be safer to play with explosive porcupines.

No comments:

Post a Comment